Cole Middle and High School Virtual Learning Plans
Robert G. Cole Middle and High School
2020-2021 Virtual Plan
During at least the first three weeks of school (August 17 - September 7th), all Cole students' instruction will be synchronous with asynchronous opportunities depending on course requirements.
Synchronous instruction is defined as online two-way, real-time, live instruction between teachers and students. For Cole students, their synchronous delivery will be either via Google Meet or Zoom based on teacher preference. The web links for all synchronous delivery will be made available to students via our Learning Management System, Google Classroom. Prior to the first day of instruction, all students should join their teachers' Google Classrooms by gong to Google Classroom, and adding classes using their teachers' class codes. a full list of class codes can be found HERE.
The dates and times of students' synchronous meetings is available on the graphic posted below. The links to the Google Meet or Zoom video conferences can be found in your Google Classrooms. Please know that while the class periods outlined below are 80 minutes in length, our teachers will employ a variety of learning activities to keep our students engaged. Students may view their schedules in the Parent portal on August 6th.
Asynchronous instruction does not require having the instructor and student engaged at the same time during the school day. In this method, students learn from instruction that is not necessarily being delivered in-person or in real-time. This type of instruction may include various forms of digital and online learning, such as prerecorded video lessons or game-based learning tasks that students complete on their own, and pre-assigned work and formative assessments made available to students on paper.
Cole students are expected to attend all synchronous instruction opportunities, just as they would attend classes in person. Attendance will be taken for all online delivery. Students are also expected to complete all assignments in the timeline established by their teacher.
Please note the following on the Cole remote schedule above:
- The Monday 2:30 - 3:50, Wednesday 2:30 - 3:50, and Friday 11:10 - 11:45 time slots all say "Period 5 or 6."
- Middle School students do not have a 5th period (as it is their lunch) so they would attend their 6th period class.
- Similarly, High School students do not have a 6th period (as it is their lunch) so they would attend their 5th period class.
- During all Homeroom and HR SEL (Social & Emotional Learning) timeslots, all students should attend their live synchronous sessions with their Homeroom teacher as listed on their schedules.
- For all Tutoring Flex and Office Hours/Flex, students wil be indiviiduall ynotified when attendance is required. More information on flex times and tutoring will be posted soon.