Non-Resident Transfer Student Program
Welcome to the Non-Resident Transfer webpage the place for up-to-date information about the Fort Sam Houston Independent School District (FSHISD) Non-Resident Transfer program.
The Fort Sam Houston ISD proudly serves the children of military personnel residing on Joint Base San Antonio – Fort Sam Houston and Camp Bullis. In addition, on a space and staff availability basis, the District is able to offer enrollment to students on a tuition-free basis who do not reside within its boundaries but meet certain eligibility criteria. FSHISD accepts student applications for its Non-Resident Transfer program annually. Parents are welcome to file an application with the Superintendent’s office that his or her child be admitted into District schools if:
- The student is in Prekindergarten – grade 12.
- Prekindergarten students must be four years of age by September 1 of the school year for which the transfer is requested and meet Texas PK eligibility requirements (parent is active duty, family meets income eligibility criteria for the school lunch program, or meets criteria as a student with English as a Second Language).
- Kindergarten student must be five years of age by September 1 of the school year for which the transfer is requested.
- The parent, legal guardian, or other person having lawful control of the student under order of a court is serving on active military duty. National Guard and Reserve military members shall be considered to be serving on active military duty only if called to active military duty by the President of the United States.
- The parent, legal guardian, or other person having lawful control of the student under order of a court dies while serving on active military duty.
- The parent, legal guardian, or other person having lawful control of the student under order of a court has retired from active military duty and is employed on federal property.
- The parent, legal guardian, or other person having lawful control of the student under order of a court is retired from active military duty
- The parent, legal guardian, or other person having lawful control of the student under order of a court is employed by the District.
In approving transfers, the campus administration will consider availability of space, availability of instructional and support staff, and other resources, the student’s disciplinary history, attendance, grades, and any potential adverse effect on resident students.
There are two transfer student categories:
Current-Non-Resident Transfer Students - The NRT students currently enrolled for the 2021-2022 school year will be notified of the NRT application process via email (from SchoolMint) with a guide on how to complete NRT/Re-enrollment forms on April 11, 2022 at 8:00 a.m.. This includes students who moved out of Lincoln Military Housing and off Joint Base San Antonio – Fort Sam Houston and have completed the 2021-2022 NRT application. Please be sure to check your spam/junk mail for this email.
Parents who indicated they would not be returning to Fort Sam Houston ISD Schools on the projected enrollment letter will not receive an email and will be formally withdrawn from the NRT program effective on the last day of the school year.
You will complete and submit the NRT application using an online form instead of faxing, emailing or hand delivering an application to the District office.
Your application will be reviewed for completeness. The Non-Resident Transfer program will open for new student applications so we would like to get your application processed before that time.
First Time Non-Resident Transfer Students – Students interested in applying to attend Fort Sam Houston schools as a NRT for the 2022-2023 school year may apply beginning May 31, 2022 @ 8:00 a.m.. Applications will not be considered until the application is verified as complete.
**Parents needing to come into the office in person for assistance must make an appointment before arriving by calling Sasha Rios at 210-368-8707 or emailing [email protected].
Online application Link:
Application link for the 2022-2023 School Year
https://fshisd.schoolmint.net/signin - This link is for use with student new to FSHISD beginning May 31, 2022.
Returning students can apply beginning April 11, 2022.
A guide to using School Mint can be found in the files below.
Completing the NRT application does not constitute approval. After the District reviews the application, you will receive an email notifying you of the application decision.
Your questions are always welcome. Please contact Sasha Rios (210) 368-8707 or send an email to [email protected]