Non-Resident Transfer Student Program
Update August 16, 2019 - FSHISD is full in PreK, Kinder, 1st, 2nd, and 4th grade levels.
Welcome to the Non-Resident Transfer webpage the place for up-to-date information about the Fort Sam Houston Independent School District (FSHISD) Non-Resident Transfer program.
The Fort Sam Houston ISD proudly serves the children of military personnel residing on Joint Base San Antonio – Fort Sam Houston and Camp Bullis. In addition, on a space and staff availability basis, the District is able to offer enrollment to students on a tuition-free basis who do not reside within its boundaries but meet certain eligibility criteria. FSHISD accepts student applications for its Non-Resident Transfer program annually. Parents are welcome to file an application with the Superintendent’s office that his or her child be admitted into District schools if:
- The student is in Prekindergarten – grade 12.
- Prekindergarten students must be four years of age by September 1 of the school year for which the transfer is requested and meet Texas PK eligibility requirements (parent is active duty, family meets income eligibility criteria for the school lunch program, or meets criteria as a student with English as a Second Language).
- Kindergarten student must be five years of age by September 1 of the school year for which the transfer is requested.
- The parent is serving on active military duty. National Guard and Reserve military members shall be considered to be serving on active military duty only if called to active military duty by the President of the United States.
- The parent has retired from active military duty and is employed on federal property.
- Retired parent is NOT working on Federal Property (Grades 6-12 only)
- The parent is employed by the District.
In approving transfers, the campus administration will consider availability of space, availability of instructional and support staff, and other resources, the student’s disciplinary history, attendance, grades, and any potential adverse effect on resident students. First priority is given to students who meet the Non-Resident Transfer criteria and are currently enrolled in the District.
There are two transfer student categories:
Current-Non-Resident Transfer Students - These NRT students currently enrolled for the 2018-2019 school year will be notified of the NRT application process via email with an active link to apply for the 2019-2020 school year by the close of business on May 6, 2019. This includes students who moved out of Lincoln Military Housing and off Joint Base San Antonio – Fort Sam Houston and have completed the 2018-2019 NRT application.
Parents who indicated they would not be returning to Fort Sam Houston ISD Schools on the projected enrollment letter will not receive an email and will be formally withdrawn from the NRT program effective on the last day of the school year.
You will complete and submit the NRT application using an online form instead of faxing, emailing or hand delivering an application to the District office.
Please complete the application by Friday, May 17, 2019. Your application will be reviewed for completeness. The Non-Resident Transfer program will open for new student applications so we would like to get your application processed before that time.
First Time Non-Resident Transfer Students – Students interested in applying to attend Fort Sam Houston schools as a NRT for the 2019-2020 school year may apply beginning May 6, 2019. Parents may submit the online Non-Resident Transfer application using a link to the online application system that will be posted to this website on May 6, 2019. Applications will not be considered until the application is verified as complete.
Completing the NRT application does not constitute approval. After the District reviews the application, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com notifying you of the application decision.
Your questions are always welcome. Please contact Rachel Munoz at (210) 368-8725 or send an email to NRT@fshisd.net.